-Nonna
So, it seems all around us the above 'formula' is getting messed with. Parents are requesting no gifts, requesting cash instead of gifts, asking you to donate to charity or requiring you buy a gift off their registry.
Not okay, friends.
Here are the 3 reasons why the Birthday Party Formula should be left alone:
1) A child gets one day a year for it to be all about them. 1 out of the 365 days in a year, that child is special and singled out and the world revolves around them. Let them have their day. Let them eat cake, play with their friends and open up some gifts.
2) I like taking my child to pick out a gift for another child. It teaches them that the world does not revolve around them the other 364 days. It teaches them to be generous, to give from their heart and consider someone else.
3) If you, as a parent, want to make a donation to charity, make a donation to charity. Or donate the gift that my child spent her time selecting (and she does take her time making a choice!), but don't ask a parent to make a donation. Being socially responsible is each person's individual choice and one should not be forced into it.
Also, it is not my responsibility to fund your child's college education. It is tacky to ask for cash, it just is. Don't do it. Of course we don't need one more piece of plastic that lights up and plays music. Or another Polly Pocket, Barbie or random big girl toy that could cause a choking death to Madeline. But we do not get to choose the gifts given to us or our children, that is the choice of the gift giver (or whether to give a gift at all for that matter!). Whatever you receive, be gracious and move on.
So there you have it. The above reasons do not apply if you are asked for a list or ideas/suggestions.
What do you think? Should gifts be given at birthday parties? Have you received a "no gifts" invitation lately? Does it make you feel guilty for not putting "no gifts" on your invitation?

100% agreed.
ReplyDeleteGreat post today, K!
Nonna loves a good party, especially one with the three above components.
ReplyDeleteAsking people to donate to a charity makes it a fund raiser. Children are only young for such a short time, celebrate it!
I am a new follower from Social Parade and I totally agree about the birthday formula. Kids should get gifts from other kids, eat too much cake and ice cream, get loud and silly and give out loot bags with candy! :)
ReplyDeleteNew follower from Blog hop, glad I found your blog.
ReplyDeleteSomething I hate doing it giving money to a child when it's their birthday. I much prefer to give something personal, something that has been chosen with care. I think children have so much these days that I always ask the parents if there's anything in particular they want (or need).
CJ xx
Gifts are delightful and should *always* be accepted graciously.
ReplyDeleteThat said, I hold to my firm "no gifts, please" policy for birthdays and holidays in our house. A birthday/wedding/holiday/whatever-day-of-the-week-it-is celebration is about *celebration*: laughter, love, friends, having a good time. Just as one shouldn't need alcohol or candy or sweets to celebrate, one shouldn't need presents.
I find it curious that people believe that funding a child's education is tacky, but not funding a child's playtime. Doesn't the lack of responsibility toward the former also extend to the latter?
I love this post. There is a theme where I live to donate to charity and it really buggs me. You're right, why should I have to donate to a charity that I don't necessarily support?
ReplyDeleteXOXO
I am so with you on this one! Kids need to get gifts on their Birthday! I also think that kids should open the gifts at the party so that the gift giver gets to have their "moment" too, but I think I will probably lose that battle.
ReplyDeleteThere is also a new trend in which parents attach the thank you note to the goody bag. Yup so no thank you for the gift from the child-totally hate that!
I completely agree. I understand the "want" to get money for a child's education. But, I think that request needs to be for close family members and not friends. I can see asking grandparents for money for college, but let little kids be little kids by picking out and receiving gifts!!!
ReplyDeleteI love that sparkling pair of eyes my daughter has when she opens her gifts each time her birthday comes...
ReplyDeleteFollowing your lovely blog and inviting you to add this at http://olahmomma.com/momlounge - a mommy blogger directory and more, where you can also meet more mom bloggers like you and get connected with them by visiting your profile after registration.
You can also add there your giveaways and business links; get featured by sharing your crafts, recipes and interesting musings.
Following us back is deeply appreciated. Thanks and have a great day!
http://olahmomma.com -- blogging and connecting blogging moms.
{all moms welcome}
P.S. Have you ONE New year's resolution you can resolve? We are inviting you to share it here: http://olahmomma.com/momlounge/node/add/mom-musings, and choose the category Resolutions You Can Resolve 2011. Contributors' articles are featured.
i TOTALLY agree * awesome post!
ReplyDeleteI like your list, a lot. I think if it was the child's idea, that is one thing, but if it's the parents trying to teach their children maybe choose another day.
ReplyDeleteHappy SITS day.
LisaDay
Charlie's 6th birthday is coming up and I couldn't agree with you more. If someone gives him money, which does happen, then I'm okay with it. He gets to buy what he wants with the money after putting some of it in his piggy bank.
ReplyDeleteCharlie works hard at picking out presents for his friends too. He writes thank you notes. I want him to learn to appreciate what is given to him as well as think of others. Social graces are important in this society even though it doesn't seem like it some days.
So true!!
ReplyDelete