The Little Style File is here! Follow @lilstylefile on twitter or like us on facebook for the latest updates!

March 25, 2011

The Big Girl AND Boy Room: A Master Bedroom Makeover

Here's the scene:

A serene nursery is decorated with soft, minimalist Charlotte Serena & Lily bedding.  A custom mural was painted on the wall and is the perfect compliment to a hand-made bird mobile.  Cherry furniture and a white brocade Little Castle glider finish the room.

The big girl room is bright and cheery.  Pottery Barn Kids bedding lays atop the feminine Stanley Young America bed.  Every corner is decorated with flower hooks, wall stickers, bookshelves.  Flower balls hang from the ceiling over the picturesque doll house. 

The third bedroom, also known as the master bedroom, has nothing hanging on the walls.  Mismatched nightstands sit on either side of a bed with no headboard.  An Ikea dresser now serves as a stand for the television.  The chair, ottoman and floor lamp were part of a living room set in a city condo and were demoted to the bedroom during the big move.

Does the master bedroom sound depressing?  Well it pretty much is.  But it didn't used to be.  Before we had kids we had a beautiful bedroom set that only worked because of the second bedroom condo closet and was too large to allow room for a co-sleeper.

That set was sold and new furniture was purchased, less bulky furniture.  But the floor to ceiling wardrobe had to be left behind because it wouldn't fit out of the bedroom door.  After the move our headboard would bang against the wall every time we rolled over so that was removed for a good night's rest.

Somehow our room became the neglected on while every other space is decorated down to the curtain tie-backs.  But we are ready to spruce it up.  I think we have the furniture figured out but we are having trouble deciding on bedding.  Here's what we have so far:

The walls are painted Sherwin Williams Moody Blue.  We have painted since moving in.



We currently have while damask bedding from Pottery Barn and we're just tired of it. We need a pattern, something fun. A few things have caught our eye...


West Elm
 

Ellie suggested a dandelion bedding set.  We opened the West Elm catalog and there one was.  Not sure if I'm sold on it though. ;)

Pottery Barn

Crate & Barrel
 Restoration Hardware



What do you think?  Are any of these jumping out at you?  Have any other suggestions on places to look for big girl and boy bedding?

13 comments:

  1. stopped by from a blog hop, I like the last one, simple, clean, relaxing and looks very comfortable! http://momsbookshelf.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful- I think I like the 1st West Elm bedding the best (just in case you wanted my opinion!). The dandelions are really cool too, but I can see you getting tired of the pattern within a few months!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We almost bought that Crate set.. it's much brighter in person.

    I personally love the PB paisley!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a new follower from the blog hop. Your site is so cute, and your kids...adorable! I like the Restoration Hardware bedding the best. I know how you feel with every other room in the house being perfected, except the your own room, part of being a mommy I guess! I can't wait to read more.

    1HecticMommy
    http://1hecticmommy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, I think I would like it brighter and maybe add more yellow accents. We'll have to check it out in person, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the first one from West Elm.

    And I hear you - we haven't done anything to our master bedroom. It's all about the little ladies, isn't it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually really like the Dandelion one! Unique!

    Following you from Friday Bloghops! I hope you can visit us back and follow too! Hope you have a great weekend!

    Krissy @ Mommy Misc

    ReplyDelete
  8. new follower and loving all the bedding you are looking at...fun colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the Dandelion one. So cute that sweet Ellie picked it out! Have a good weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our master is stuff from West Elm, but we are boring, sold print people. :)

    For us with a dog, I could never get bedding that is mostly white like the dandelion one, even though it's cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know how it happens...you have kids and their rooms take over! The same happened to us. The master bedroom should be a haven, a room for the two of you to find romance in.
    I suggest that you find bedding that makes you feel romantic (I don't mean satin sheets)!
    Find something that makes you feel like adults in your own private space. Don't buy something to busy, or you may end up getting sick of it.
    I'm a new follower from the blog hop. Good luck with your renovation.
    Stefanie
    http://weddedblisster.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd go with the west elm or dandylion (something about it...)

    We're remodeling, too, but the bathroom. Argh! I'll love it when it's done, but fear I may never shower again!!!

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a trip to Ellie-Town...