The Little Style File is here! Follow @lilstylefile on twitter or like us on facebook for the latest updates!

October 6, 2010

This shop is officially closed.

The last day of my 20's was also the last day of nursing.  I didn't plan it that way, but I'm kind of happy that's how it worked out.  Get it all done in one night, wake up in a new decade the next morning.

I have a funny yet maybe slightly inappropriate story to share about The Last Night.  I wasn't going to write it but since this is my last nursing story probably EVER, here goes nothing.

Everyone who has nursed, been married to someone who has nursed or has watched someone nurse knows that nursing bras are less than fabulous.  Mine were the sports bra type and came in the sensational colors of beige, white and black.  My nursing tanks were all black and white, too.

The last few days of nursing I was doing night time only so I went wild and wore a real bra all day long.  Nothing too fancy but, you know, a color and snap-less.  As I was rocking Madeline and snuggling her, getting a little emotional, Ellie barged in and we had a conversation that went like this:

Ellie:  Wow!  Oh, wow!

Me:  What?!

Ellie:  What is that thing called that grown up girls wear to cover up their nickels?

Me:  A bra?

Ellie:  Yes, that's it!  Your bra is BEAUTIFUL!  It's so.....PINK!  I really love it!

Me:  Thanks.

Ellie:  Wow.  Pink?  It's just gorgeous, Mama.

Me:  Thanks, Ellie.

Ellie:  Oh, goodnight, Madeline!

If that isn't a call to the nursing bra makers of the world to make prettier nursing bras I don't know what is. 

So my final thoughts on breastfeeding are:

It's really hard and then it's really easy. 


It will save you about $1,200.00 the first year.


It effects the entire {nuclear} family, and the entire family should be supportive.


It is OK if it doesn't work out.  Whether you tried to nurse or not, YOU are doing what's best for YOUR baby.


Now off to the 'breastfeeding' section this will go.  I'm going to keep it up in case some new mom is struggling and will get a laugh or not feel so alone while trying to nurse.  If you have a story you would like to add, just email me at kristin@ellie-town.com or send me a link and I'll be happy to include it.

Thanks for letting me share this experience.  It's been a heck of a ride!

7 comments:

  1. I agree- it's really hard and then really easy. If the really hard part would be shared more, I think it would help other mothers struggling to learn how to breastfeed. .

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute and relatable about the pink bra. I love the one or two times each month that I put on a bra other than a (hideously ugly) nursing bra!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on being done. im 18 months in and no end in sight...

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Ellie is impressed with bra fashions, you better watch out when she's of shopping age, and is hitting all the clothing stores in the mall! She's a fashionista!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My girls love all kinds of fancy undergarments! Last day of Nursing- such mixed emotions. You must be so happy you have so many of your stories documented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too cute! Congrats on being done! I have at least 6 more months to go...hopefully will go longer but after the 12 month mark I will let Sunshine decide.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a trip to Ellie-Town...