1. Throw your modesty out the window.
This might sound like a challenge if you are pregnant or not yet pregnant, unless you are a super expert bead collector during Mardi Gras. ;) But once you deliver that little bundle of joy and everyone - from your ob to the janitor sweeping the halls has seen it all, it will be much easier to do.
2. Take advantage of the Lactation Consultant at the hospital.
Ask to see the LC right away. I have to admit that when I first heard of a Lactation Consultant I rolled my eyes. Mothers have lactated and babies have been nursed since the beginning of time. It can't be that hard. Well, it is. And that is why there are experts in the world to help. Use them. See your hospital LC as much as you can, have her check the latch, ask questions or just get positive feedback that everything is going well.
3. Have a sense of humor.
It might be hard to find the funny in some of the nursing predicaments you might find yourself in at first, but you'll get there. Like if you are on a different level of your home nursing your newborn under a cover and your father in law comes to chat with you and doesn't realize that you are in fact breastfeeding until 10 minutes into the conversation. Or if you are nursing in the car without a cover because of the heat and a boy scout troop walks by and gets a better view of you than they would watching National Geographic. Or better yet, nursing during a pap.
If you can't laugh through it, you might die of embarrassment. So just laugh through it.
4. Get a cute nursing cover.
I love the Udder Covers, but there are many brands out there. The benefit of a cover with a cute print is that a lot of times people won't realize you are nursing. Like in the above scenario with my father in law. The covers are more light weight than blankets and have wire in them so you can peek down at the baby, which helps in the early days with getting the baby latched on correctly.
5. Purchase nursing supplies ahead of time
and have them ready to go for when you come home from the hospital. Lansinoh ointment saved me but there are gel soothies and other ways to help heal those sore nipples. Nursing tanks/bras make life much easier and I couldn't imagine nursing this long without them. Nursing pads are a must and come in disposable or cloth varieties. You also might want to think about getting a Milk Saver to collect the extra milk to save for bottles or cereal down the line without having to pump.
Don't open the box for your pump until you are sure breastfeeding is going to work for you. Most stores will not except a return once the box is opened and they are too expensive to sit around collecting dust.
6. Remember why you chose to breastfeed.
Because you are going to want to give up at some point. Whether it's for the nutritional value for the baby, the fact that it's free {vs $100 a month for formula!}, the bonding experience, whatever. Discuss your reasons with your partner and when times get tough remember why you chose to do this. And whatever you do, do NOT give up on your worst day. It DOES get easier as the weeks go on - it hurts less {until it doesn't hurt at all!}, it gets faster and less frequent.
Setting smaller goals for yourself to get to your long term breastfeeding goal can help, too. Committing to nurse for a year is huge. Start off by committing to one month, or six months. If you can break it down it can seem much more manageable.
Lastly, if breastfeeding doesn't work out for you, it's okay. Formula fed babies turn out to be healthy and happy, too!
Do you have any tips to add to survive breastfeeding?
Love your list, would have to agree with them all! I cracked up at the nursing during a pap, because I wound up nursing through my post-natal visit! Baby crying, milk soaking my paper gown....just had to whip those puppies out and go for it. Amazing what you can do when you're a mom!
ReplyDeleteI would have to add: Scope out all of the best nursing places at the local mall and any other places you are likely to take the older child. When you only have the newborn, it's a challenge, BUT when you are on the second one....ugh!
Sherri, you are so right! The best restrooms by us are Nordstrom and Macy's. Actually, I could live in the Nordstrom's nursing lounge. I would just need to leave for food. ;)
ReplyDeleteI really love this post list Kristin. You give some great encouragment and sound advice but you also let those out there know that if for some reason you fail (me), it will be okay.
ReplyDeletei would say make sure you husband/partner is on board and try to stay in constant communication about the state of things. the beginning will be very rough, and very MOM CENTERED. In the first two months, my husband was pretty much the errand boy since I was stuck on the couch day and night. you may have to divide the duties in different ways
ReplyDeletegreat post!
I couldn't pump no matter which pump I used.
ReplyDeleteMy child wouldn't use a pacifier or suck her thumb.
Therefore, I was a breastfeeding machine LOL
I wouldn't have traded one moment for anything. She didn't get sick with ANYTHING until she was 2 1/2 years old, so I KNOW it was a very healthy choice and a great gift for my daughter.
Great list Kristin. It can be a little overwhelming the first few days in the hospital and everyone is grabbing at you to help with the latch. By round 2 my husband knew enough to do it himself!
ReplyDeleteI don't think most moms know how much a struggle it can be. Or how much it can freaking HURT!
Thanks everyone!
ReplyDeleteBreastfeeding did not work out with Ellie. She was tongue tied and we just didn't get it clipped in time to save my supply or her latch. So I have been on the bottle feeding and breastfeeding side. Sometimes no matter how hard you try it just doesn't work and no one should feel guilty about it ever! There's enough other stuff you'll be able to have guilt about later. ;)
I also agree with having a supportive partner. I don't think Ryan or I really understood exclusively breastfeeding until we were in the middle of it because the balance is so different for us now than it was the first time. Ryan was giving Ellie bottles to supplement when we got home from the hospital but Madeline has refused bottles and only started taking a pacifier at 4 months old. I also was used to dividing up night time feedings but that didn't work this time!
But we all survived and both girls are happy and healthy, one formula fed and one breastfed.
This is a great list post, Kristin. I'm not a mom (breastfeeding or otherwise) but this list has a lot of common elements of getting through any challenging-yet-rewarding situation. Great job!
ReplyDelete(You were above me in the Day 3 post for the 31DBBB challenge, I'm glad I got the chance to stop by!)
that whole "throw modesty out the window" is key! It's much easier with the second than the first unless you are one of those Mardi Gras girls like you mentioned LOL
ReplyDeleteComing from a momma who nursed 19mo with #1 and is still going at 24mo with #2 it truly does get easier with time. Now I get to deal with the tantrums over my wanting to wean :p
Visiting through Lady Bloggers
Love this post!
ReplyDeleteRight about the time that I learned to throw my modesty out the window was when my little Lilahbility started being too distractible to nurse in public... go figure!
In the early days, you have to be half-crazy to keep nursing through the pain, difficulties with latch and weight gain, sleep deprivation, etc., etc., but once it gets easy, there is absolutely NOTHING more rewarding. I'm so glad I persevered, crazy or not!
This is great! I'm so glad you're a new follower and that you commented so I could find you too! =)
ReplyDeleteThis is a fantastic list! I nursed my daughter for 13 months. It went great :) For the most part I never had any trouble, didn't need the Lansinoh, etc. There were a few tiny hiccups in the beginning and around 4 months were my supply was lowering...but we fixed it right up and powered through :)
ReplyDeleteMy hospital gave me Lansinoh and a manual pump for free...and the LC visits you whether you want her to or not ;)