Madeline has had patchy dry skin on her arms for a few weeks. We brought her to the doctor and they said it was just dry skin and it would clear up on its own.
Our baby has also always hated peas. When we tried to feed her them the first time it looked like we were trying to poison her. She made an awful face and literally shuddered.
So we ditched the green foods and went on to carrots, sweet potatoes, squash and fruit. Then Madeline got an orange nose, which you'll see if you look back in pictures from a few months ago, so we decided to push the green foods even if she hated them.
When Madeline turned 9 months we started with the finger foods and chunky purees. At dinner at Nonna and Poppa's one night, Maddie got red and blotchy around her mouth after eating Earth's Best Spring Veggies and Pasta. Then Ellie shared some of her beloved peas with Madeline the next day for lunch and the spots appeared again but there were more.
After talking things over with the pediatrician, we decided Madeline needed to get tested for food allergies. Since peas are legumes and Ryan is allergic to peanuts, we needed to get to the bottom of this.
The day of Madeline's blood draw also happened to be the day a friend was getting induced at the very same hospital. Now while I wasn't up for visitors in the hospital, I know some mamas are so I sent a quick text to see how Meghan was feeling. She wrote me back saying that they were doing great and we could stop by. So exciting!
When we arrived at the hospital, I took both girls up with me to the Birthplace on the 7th floor, the same place Madeline was born. I hadn't been back since last September 7th but it all was so familiar and I was flooded with emotion remembering her birth 10.5 months ago.
Ellie also remembered being on the floor. There is a beautiful mosaic with a mother and baby and she went right over to touch it, letting me know she did the same thing on the day she went to meet her baby. Ellie also remembered where the waiting room was and the magnet table where she and Madeline waited with Meghan's husband so I could take a peek at baby Cooper.
Cooper is so tiny and precious and Meghan looked amazing. I'll never understand how some women look so great after having a baby that's only four hours old! After a quick visit, I grabbed the girls and we headed back down stairs.
Our pediatrician is very proactive so we ended up with a Bili Blanket at home for the weekend and that knocked the rest out of her system.
Madeline's name was called and I found myself in the same room. This time with a baby who is aware of everything. And although seeing her in pain in those newborn days was difficult, this was much worse. I gave her a 'bear hug' and our noses were only inches apart. She was looking right into my eyes when the needle went in for her blood draw and her little face turned red and the tears began streaming down her cheeks.
She was old enough to know pain but not old enough to know why we were putting her through it. Ellie was so upset by her sister's tears that she ran over and started to sing and dance for her. Ellie even got Madeline to laugh through the tears.
After a few minutes - which seemed like forever - it was all done and we were on our way home. We met tiny Baby Cooper and will get the results of Madeline's allergy test in 1-2 weeks. There is nothing better than meeting a new baby and nothing worse than seeing your own in pain. I'm just thankful that Madeline's pain was temporary and we were only at the hospital a short time. Now we're just hoping that those red spots were a fluke and there really is nothing to worry about.




Laila has had blood taken many times. She hates it. As soon as we turn into the lab parking lot she starts crying and repeating 'i don't wanna shot'
ReplyDeleteI tell her the truth if she is having one. Usually there are stickers which help restore good spirits.
It is heartbreaking though.
What a terrific sister! :)
ReplyDeleteEven at 26, I'm still a huge baby when it comes to needles!
Hope all is okay! Your post is timely...I am sitting her already freaking out for tomorrow. Dylan gets tubes in his ears! ugh.
ReplyDeleteTrips to the hospital are never fun! There's nothing more scary for a momma than seeing her baby having tests done...I remember our trip and 4 day stay in the hospital with GG only to find out days later that we'd never know the cause for her illness! Fingers crossed it was just a one time thing for y'all!
ReplyDeleteGood luck for good test results!
ReplyDeleteGood luck! Hospitals are a hard place to be, and it probably brightened your day to get to see a newborn!
ReplyDeleteFirst, I remember you and Madeline in your matching gowns on the day she was born...you looked beautiful!
ReplyDeleteYipeeee for no peanuts, tree nuts or pea allergies!! I know you are so relieved.
Hope you are able to find out what is wrong. That was so sweet of Ellie to get her sister to laugh.
ReplyDeletehope that her tests come back negative for allergies! hannah kay had to do the skin prick allergy test when she was 2....she got 16 pricks on her back. i have never heard a child scream like that, and she turned up negative for all 16 allergens. now (3 years later) she still freaks out on the way to the doctor until i can convince her that she isn't getting any "pokes".
ReplyDeleteMungee's dermatologist recommended that we do allergy testing. She has eczema, but it cleared up tremendously when I stopped eating peanuts. She recently broke out however, after eating a few different items from the salad bar, peas included. There are peas in some of the jarred foods we give her, so I wonder if those are going to be a problem too.
ReplyDeleteI hope it's just a fluke and you don't have to deal with allergies with Madeline!
Thanks so much everyone!
ReplyDeleteThe peas and nut panel came back negative! Yippee! Now we are just waiting on the rest.
The pediatrian said on the phone today that it might just be contact dermatitis? So I'll hope for that.
Thanks again!
I'm so glad she doesn't have a peanut allergy!! What a relief!
ReplyDeleteThanks for coming to visit us! It was nice to be able to show off the baby!!