The Little Style File is here! Follow @lilstylefile on twitter or like us on facebook for the latest updates!

May 19, 2011

My Favorite Things About One of My Favorite People

Mama’s Losin’ It


I have lots of favorite people.  Lots.  But I didn't have to think long about who this list should be about.  Poppa {my dad} is retiring this year and the big party is tomorrow.  So in honor of his retirement, here are my favorite things about my dad.

*  The summer before I went away to college we went on a family vacation.  To change things up a bit, my dad shaved his mustache.  My sister and I cried.  Isn't that so dramatic?  Our entire lives he had his mustache and when he shaved it he looked like a different person.

He let it grow back right away and will not let anyone talk him into shaving it again.  If you were to suggest it he would inform you that it made his daughters upset and he will not do it again.

*  He is smart.  I always knew my dad was smart but I didn't know he was REALLY smart until I peaked over his shoulder in the study while he was working on his dissertation for his PhD.  After working on my senior paper and feeling pretty good about myself, I asked him to read me what he was writing.  It blew my mind. 

*  My dad is calm in times of crisis.  Stressed out in college?  No problem.  You can call him anytime and get the greatest pep talk.  He can calmly explain how you could improve during a volleyball game, keep you from totally freaking out when your dangling roller coaster stalls out over a forest {seriously!} and will bring a cashier's check when the wire transfer doesn't go quite right when you are closing on your house. 

*  I'm his favorite.  Let me rephrase - I'm his favorite oldest daughter.  My sister is his favorite youngest daughter.  He plays favorites with the grandkids, too.  You know, Ellie is his favorite oldest granddaughter and Mads is his favorite youngest.  If there are more at some point we might get into trouble.

*  He {and my mom!} worked hard their entire lives so they could build their dream vacation house and we are lucky enough to have our own room there.

My list could go on and on but those are my favorite favorite things about one of my favorite people.

Happy retirement Dad!  We love you!

7 comments:

  1. Reading this reminded me of my own father. Especially the part about how he's calm in times of stress. I remember one time long ago he drove through a very bad snowstorm on the freeway, and there was a 13 car pile up right in front of us because the roads were so bad. What did he do? Calmly drive AROUND the mess and keep going. I remember looking at him in disbelief, and all he said in return was "Have to have quick reflexes! :)" I still have yet to emulate his calm in times of crisis!

    visiting from #commenthour

    ReplyDelete
  2. he sounds like an awesome guy! you are blessed to have such a wonderful father (but you probably already know that!). my dad has had a mustache my entire life and i don't think i could handle it if he ever shaved it off. i definitely feel ya on that one, girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so great when daughters have a wonderful relationship with dads! I can only hope mine have the same!

    New follower from #commenthour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet tribute to your Dad. He sounds like he deserves it. :)
    ~Visiting from Mama Kat's

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made me think of my dad! He uses the "favorite eldest child who gave me grandchildren" all the time with me!
    I'm impressed that he shaved the moustache. My father has never gotten rid of his, and I don't think my mom has even seen him without it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH I adore my father too and for the record if he ever shaves off his beard I think I'll be lost forever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had had this kind of relationship with my dad. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a trip to Ellie-Town...