The Little Style File is here! Follow @lilstylefile on twitter or like us on facebook for the latest updates!

November 7, 2010

Dear people who design public restrooms,

Can we please go back to toilets with handles and paper towels?  Please?

When a 40" kid sits on a toilet with an automatic flush, it flushes while they are still sitting on the toilet.  It's a little traumatizing.

Also, when the 40" kid is trying to use the facilities and a jet plane takes off hand dryer starts blowing, again, it can be a little scary.  Cause, you know, public restrooms don't have bath mats, rugs, or anything to absorb all of that sound.  It just echos off the bare walls and cold tile floors.

Before you think, "oh crazy lady, it's just your 40" kid that has these issues!" I assure you it's not. 

And Madeline?  My poor sweet 30" baby completely loses her mind gets visibly upset when an automatic dryer turns on in the bathroom.  You try wrangling a toddler during a poopy diaper change while screaming bloody murder.  No?  Doesn't sound like your idea of a good time?  Hmmm, me either.

Remember the good days when you reached over and flushed the grimy public potty with your foot or wadded up an acre of rainforest's worth of TP to push the handle down?  Let's bring those back.  Because do you know the most traumatizing thing a parent can hear while driving down the expressway 35 miles from the next rest stop? 

I have to go potty.

If only that public restroom at the party had a handle.  We wouldn't be crossing legs, fingers and toes to avoid an accident in the Britax Frontier. 

While my suggestions may not be the most eco-friendly, they are the most kid friendly and these days I need to choose my battles wisely.

Thank you for your time. 

Sincerely,
Kristin
Mama of Ellie-Town

10 comments:

  1. Agreed! I read this tip one time, but I haven't gotten together enough to remember to do it until the toilet is flushing like crazy, & Abbey is jumping off and freaking out :) Carry a pack of post-its in your diaper bag and cover the sensor before she sits down. Remove when she is done, and then the toilet will flush. (It tricks the sensor into thinking someone tall is on the toilet.) I've got nothing for the drier :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is a good trick. Usually I can cover it with my hand and it's ok,but only if she really has to go. Times like last night when we wanted her to TRY are when she refuses. But then we we had to stop 20 minutes later and that one didn't have a handle either? She wasn't so picky. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya! The public restroom at Kate's preschool has these, and they freak out every time it flushes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And maybe a stool or two so the kids can reach the sink? The counters are always wet and gross and it's impossible to lift the kids over it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true. I think I read to bring post it notes with you to put over the flush sensor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't agree with you more. Peanut didn't mind the loud toilet...it's the hand drier that was always terrifying. Now at 4 1/2 years old, he's just starting to get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i swear by the kalencom potette plus - http://www.diapers.com/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=6666

    if we pull up to a store and it's time to try potty, i'll whip this out in the van rather than deal with my kids in a public restroom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! I hadn't thought of that since GG is still too young for public potties! Guess that's definitely something to consider! Bet it would scare a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you completely! My six-year-old is still scared of the automatic flushes in public restrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And this is why on long car rides, I'm okay with my boys peeing behind a tree.


    Kidding.


    Maybe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a trip to Ellie-Town...