The Little Style File is here! Follow @lilstylefile on twitter or like us on facebook for the latest updates!

November 30, 2010

Dear American Girl,

Oh American Girl.

Remember when days were simple?  When it was just the Pleasant Company sending out an extra large glossy catalog with three different dolls each with three different dresses?

I do.

But things have changed.  There are American Girls of the Year, My American Girls, huge stores, online shopping, Bitty Babies, Bitty Twins, it goes on and on.  Most of the changes are wonderful.  I longed for the days my American Girl doll could be dressed in jeans instead of Victorian dresses.

However, I have a huge issue that I feel needs to be addressed.

You must stop retiring every single American Girl Doll that I have bought or was planning on purchasing in the near future.

Seriously, it's got to stop.

My beloved Samantha, gone.   


My sister's Kirsten, banished.


And now, just when my almost 4 year old has fallen in love with the doll she shares a name with, Elizabeth, too, is being sent to the archives along with her bestie, Felicity.


There were no plans to get our Elizabeth her own AG doll until she was at least 5.  But now with Elizabeth being sent to the archives, we're thinking Santa will bring her this year instead. 

On our last visit to American Girl Place I made a rookie mistake.  So excited to walk Ellie through the historical character section, I was dishing out my expertise left and right.  Here is Molly from the 1940's and look!  There's Julie!

When we arrived in the 1700's and Ellie asked who the beautiful redhead was having a tea party with her most favorite Elizabeth, I didn't hesitate to say, "Oh, that's Felicity.  Elizabeth's best friend."

Yep.  Rookie mistake.  Now Ellie thinks that she needs them both.  She even saw them packaged together as a set.  Did you know that everything is more appealing as a set?  Of course you did, you spend gazillions in marketing I'm sure. 

So, American Girl, I would like to know your plans so I can make mine.  If I buy up Felicity with all of her accessories and keep her locked away until our Madeline is ready for a doll of her own, are you just going to have a 2012 Girl of the Year named Madeline? 

Will the archives ever be opened so I can buy Samantha's trunk or is my only option to shell out hundreds on ebay?

Help me, please.  I can't make a decision and I'm sure I only have hours left until the dolls are sold out. 

Yours truly,
Kristin
AG Doll owner since Christmas 1988

PS  I think my sister-in-law and niece have their eyes on Molly & Emily so if you could keep them around for a bit that would be super. 

xoxo

17 comments:

  1. OMG I totally did this. I was a total AG whore! And I am soooooo sooooo sad that the are 'archiving' by precious dolls... and I am not going to let my kids play with mine (sorry- I am not share-y)

    What happened to all of the history- it seems so marketing crazy now :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah.....i recall desperately begging for an american girl doll when i was little. begging. to no avail. i was brutally rebuffed by my mother with the words, "we are NOT spending that much money on a baby doll!". well, guess what MY MOTHER is buying my oldest daughter this year for Christmas? yep...her very own ag doll. i have to admit....i'm jealous of my five-year-old. maybe she'll let me hold it and play with it every now and then?? but the ocd in my nature is a little freaked out over not getting to choose which doll my kiddo will get....what if it's one i hate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot tell you how badly I wanted Samantha when I was growing up. I remember the three doll catalog, too. I would look through it until it was wrinkled! I'm kind of overwhelmed with the choices now and I'm hoping my 6 year old doesn't jump on the bandwagon soon - we could go broke buying a doll and her accessories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was clueless growing up about American Girl dolls, however my daughter is not. After years of struggling to find the justification to spend that much money on a doll, we are breaking down and this is going to be her "big ticket item" for Christmas. We're getting her the "Just Like Me" doll, but she also wants Julie. I'm so afraid they will retire her before I have the chance to get her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we have had that issue with the doll of the year. My neice a few years ago had to have the girl of the year (can't remember her name maybe Mrisol). Anyway, Deccember 1st all of them were sold out!! We had to get it on ebaby. Then in 2008 there was the Mia doll...luckily we were smart and got in for Mia in March. Last year she had to have Qwen the doll of the year. We did get it. I think we are set for awhile now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am betting they will do like Disney and let a retired AG out of the vault for a limited time. That said, I would shop now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doh! I can't help you, but good luck with your decision. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such a sweet and pleasant page. Thank you for the comment and I'm now following you as well!

    xoxo
    Kate
    http://loveiseverywhere.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh...I totally realize that they have to keep introducing new dolls to keep things "fresh", but I totally hate when they completely get rid of other ones. Sorry...good luck!!! :)

    P.S. I chose you for the Stylish Blogger Award! To see what to do next, go to: http://thepinkpuppydog.blogspot.com/2010/11/yay-me-i-won-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm following you from FMBT blog hop! I never owned an AG Doll but I did read all the books!

    www.youngstayathomemomadventures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're going there in a few weeks. We'll see what Stella falls in love with. She has already claimed my AG doll (that is desperately in need of a salon visit), so maybe she'll just be happy with the accessories, so I don't have to go too broke!

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI, I am following you from Wandering Wednesday. daughters are beautiful!I hope you have a good day!

    http://caseysgoodlife.comYour

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I'm your newest follower from Welcome Wed... would love for you to check out my blog + considering following back ( -:
    Malia
    www.yesterdayontuesday.com
    ps Just gave my girl Samantha who I bought at an auction 4 years ago and have been waiting to give!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I guess I should count my blessings that it's probably unlikely any of my 3 boys will be into AG.

    ReplyDelete
  15. sounds like they are doing the same thing as the dude who invented Beanie Babies. Retire some dolls, build up a frenzy of people who still want them.

    I bet they will bring out special "limited releases" of these retired dolls at double the price

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is great! I missed the AG thing (I was a bit too old when they became popular and I now have all boys), but for whatever reason, I still get their catalogue in the mail, and darn, they're appealing, aren't they?! As a reading teacher I have read the books, and I love the concept. Maybe for my newborn niece?? Sounds like I'd better buy now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a trip to Ellie-Town...