The Little Style File is here! Follow @lilstylefile on twitter or like us on facebook for the latest updates!

June 18, 2010

"My mouth is going on an adventure."



Baby Ellie ate everything we gave her. Every puree {avocado and tofu being the only exceptions} went right down the gullet. I vividly remember thinking wow, this is so easy. We're so lucky that we don't have a picky eater!

Um yeah. Skip ahead two years and we had a child who would not eat a single vegetable grown on earth. The veggie strike lasted at least 9 months, maybe longer. I nervously asked the pediatrician for advice and she nonchalantly said, "as long as she's taking her multivitamin she's fine." Well she's not exactly chewing up her Flintstones either. Is it OK to panic yet?

Around Christmastime last year I had had enough. We were out to dinner with Ryan's family 500 miles from home when Ellie refused to eat the mac and cheese we ordered her because it was white and not yellow. You know, it was made from real cheese instead of powder. How dare us?!

This needed to stop and needed to stop NOW. On our drive home I devised a plan.

When we woke up the next morning in our own beds I informed Ellie that her mouth was going to go on an adventure. She looked at me puzzled. "My mouth is going to go on an adventure?" Yep, Ellie, it is. Not only is your mouth going on an adventure, but your mouth is excited to go on the adventure. I explained the plan: everyday your mouth is going to try one new thing. It doesn't matter if you like it or not, but you are going to put in your mouth, chew and swallow one new food item a day.

Ellie was intrigued. With a little help and encouragement i.e. Ryan and I singing Yo Gabba Gabba's "Try It, You'll Like It" and dancing like fools it worked. Ellie tried her first new food in months. The next day she did it again, and on and on. Everyday at dinner she would proudly announce, "My mouth is ready to go on its adventure!" and then try something new.

Depending on the food she would take one bite, shudder and wash it down with milk or she would keep eating and finish her plate. We honestly didn't care how much of the new thing she ate and we made sure to have a mix of old favorites on her plate as well.  We love these plates from Target to keep it all separate so we can really monitor what she's eaten.
Matching cups are available as well and the designs change with the seasons.  So fun!

Ellie's mouth now loves to go on adventures.  In fact, she even asks to try our food when we get take-out or are eating something new.  She requests peas several times a week.  You can pick your jaw up now.  ;)
Fast forward to today.  Madeline's naps have been messy lately {could she finally be getting a tooth?!} so we didn't have time to make it to the store this morning.  I called up our friendly Jimmy John's Delivery Man - who when we were at a playdate the other day called me by my address and asked what I was doing at this house - and had sandwiches delivered for Ellie and me.  While I was feeding Madeline and not paying close attention to what Ellie was doing with her food, this is what she made:


You can tell she thought she was amazing.  Like who would ever think to mash their food up on their plate and turn it into something new before?  It even had a name.  Something along the lines of Pookie-wacka-lolly-bits.  The ingredients are part of of a Jimmy John's Turkey Slim, Cheerios and peach Yogurt Bites.

Mmmmmmmm!

And then she tried it.  Ellie's mouth opened up and it went down the gullet...







"My mouth did not like that adventure."


This post is linked up with
header 150x150



Are there other tricks for picky eaters? 

We are going to have our hands full with Madeline.  She has an orange nose because she refuses to eat anything green!

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea you have there!! Seriously, I am going to try it with both of my picky eaters. My son, who is 5 will now oblige us with a "no thank you bite" but I like the adventure much better. BTW, we have those exact same plates in girl and boy colors and they are by far their favorites, heaven forbid any unlike food should be touching each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth didn't like that adventure!! That's great.
    This is a fantastic idea. My 3yo will eat almost anything. My 6yo, now way! Very fussy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what kids say. What a cool post.
    The internet is wonderful because we can read so many different "adventures."
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. great idea! We have had similar situation. Mia wasn't picky until she hit 3 years old! some days are better than others. Dyaln will not eat meat! not sure why but hopefully that will change soon. Kids.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great idea! You're such a good mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I have kids, I'm coming to you for advice. I love it. "My mouth didn't like that adventure."

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just amazing. It is so great what kids will do if you just add a little humor and intrigue. You are a genius!! I'm totally trying the mouth adventure here immediately. With my 2 year old. My 5 year old is actually a great eater, which makes me really proud. But my 2 year old would prefer to exist on Hershey's chocolate bars and baby marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, that FACE!! There's no mistaking that!

    I love the idea of an "adventure" - very clever!

    Thanks SO much for joining in on Word Up, YO!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That picture just says it all! We're at the beginning of the picky-eater phase (and she's not even two yet). Jocelyn will take one look at something and say no, or bye-bye. I can't get her to eat vegetables but she'll eat lentil soup that has veggies in it. Needless to say she eats A LOT of lentil soup. and she used to chow down chicken but now won't touch it. ugh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a trip to Ellie-Town...