The Little Style File is here! Follow @lilstylefile on twitter or like us on facebook for the latest updates!

December 20, 2010

On Vegetarianism: thoughts from a 3.75 year old

While discussing Christmas Eve and Christmas Day menus over lunch...

Me:  Ellie, this year I want you to try everything for dinner on Christmas Eve and on Christmas.

Ellie:  OK.  I think I can try.  I'll do my best.

Nonna:  And Ellie, we're going to have lobster!  Will you try lobster?

Ellie:  Uh-uh. 

Nonna:  Why?  Why won't you try lobster?

Ellie:  I don't eat animals.  I let them back into nature.

Nonna:  Are you related to Auntie?  You are, aren't you?

Ellie {smiling}:  Yes!

Nonna:  So will you try a bite of Auntie's lobster?

Ellie:  Auntie eat a lobster?!?!?  No way!  Auntie wouldn't eat a lobster!

***************************************

Auntie did a stint as a vegetarian while studying abroad and then once back home.  She even had a vegetarian entree at our wedding.  But her desire for a burger eventually was too much for her to resist.  To my knowledge, Auntie and Ellie have never discussed vegetarianism.

The above conversation took place while Ellie was eating a hot dog.

After just finishing Temple Grandin on HBO {AMAZING movie and OnDemand right now.  Go watch!}, the quote that stayed with me the most is "Nature is unkind, but we don't have to be."  I would love to pass this on to Ellie but I think not yet being four, the concept might be out of her reach.

I want her to have informed opinions on what goes on her plate but a diet of Go-Gurts, Hershey Kisses and apples isn't quite hitting all of the levels of the food pyramid. 

What is the appropriate age to reveal ham comes from a pig and turkey is from a turkey?  Any tips to help me out?

5 comments:

  1. Remember when we were out for dinner and I ordered crab? She went on and on about seeing them at the aquarium and assuring me that she would never eat one. And maybe I should reconsider.

    When I was dressing Madeline in her crab Halloween costume, she laughed and said, "Nonna, I know you will want to just eat her up!" Her own little humor.

    Then, there was Thanksgjving...."Nonna, please tell me there is not a turkey in your oven."

    Kristin, I understand why you call it meat. When you were small, I called chicken, turkey, beef, pork, fish, etc. protein. It was just so much easier.

    Maybe she will try the turf half of our surf and turf?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol...i went through a "vegetarian" stint when i was little. it didn't last long though. homegirl here likes her steaks and whatnot!! it was easy for us on the whole "where meat comes from" issue because we live on a farm. also, my husband hunts and my older two have helped him clean deer before. now, when we have different meats for dinner, they always want to know what kind it is (and whether or not austin shot it)....although more than once hannah has said, "mommy, this is the BEST chicken that i've ever had." and i have to say, "thank you honey....but it's fish". either we haven't effectively taught her what meat is what....or i'm a really horrible cook! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny. Izzie has started to ask questions about this. She told me the other day she was going "vegan." I don't even think she knows what that means & I'm not even sure where she heard it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so funny when little kids think they are so clever and sure of something, and we secretly giggle at them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find myself having very kinda -"deep" discussions with my 3 yr old and it's really tough. I guess 4 doesn't get any better? I'm gonna put off the eating animal discussion as long as possible. I have a picky eater and don't want to make it worse. XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a trip to Ellie-Town...