Today for a change of scenery our playgroup met at a McDonald's Playplace. We had never been before. When we pulled in the parking lot Ellie was so excited "oh wow! This is so awesome!" I believe were her exact words.After we are inside for less than two seconds, her shoes are tossed to the side and she's in the tunnels. She makes an appearance out once every five minutes or so. She's having a great time, running around and playing with the kids so I wasn't worried.
I tell her I'm going to order lunch and she's a little frantic about playtime being over but I tell her that if she sits down nice to eat we'll play again after. She sits like a perfect angel, eats the required bites of chicken nuggets and apple slices and is off.
I catch a glimpse of her running from the slide to the toddler area and let her know I'm going to feed M and then it's time to go. She yells back ok and then she's off again.
I finish feeding Maddie {add Mickey D's to the 109th place I never thought I would breastfeed in public! and I wasn't the only one ;) } and am now on the lookout for Ellie. I see her in this little sprout off of the main plastic tubes and try to do the "come on, we're leaving" gesture. And then she's gone.
I yell her name and tell her we're leaving and I don't see her anywhere. Our friends are packed up and ready to go. Their kids have coats and shoes on and I'm trying to peek and see inside the opaque colored tubes like a loser. One of my friends volunteers her daughter to go in after Ellie. O comes back out and says she couldn't find her.
Then a little boy taps my legs. He says, "Are you looking for Ellie? Wearing a green shirt with birdies?" Yes! I am! This little boy knows just where she is. He promises he will bring her back to me so we can FINALLY go home.
Sure enough, two minutes later, my new BFF slides down the slide with Ellie behind him. First of all, Ellie is a hot mess. Literally. She has sweat all in her hair and it's sticking up all over. She tells me, "I didn't know we were leavin'. I couldn't hear you callin' me way up there in the sky."
I thought she was hiding from me and I contemplated crawling up the tubes myself. I was so relieved that she put on her shoes right away, grabbed her coat and walked happily out the door asking if we could come back tomorrow.
I'm sure everyone has seen a Playplace. They are all windows so you can see them from the street and your child can beg and beg and beg to go in. Perfect marketing strategy. So as we're walking out I see a grandma outside, trying to peek in the tunnels to find her grandchild. I smiled at her sympathetically and then thought either she is brilliant or has done this before. I never thought to go look in from the outside!
Ever since my brief-lived job at Burger King in high school, I have sworn that I would never allow my kids in those filth-ridden playtubes. Everyone makes fun of me for it; my husband has insisted that I need to lighten up and let kids be kids!
ReplyDeleteLast summer we drove down to FL, and at one of our rest stops, I finally agreed that the boys could do the McD's playland.
It was AWFUL! We couldn't get them out, either! A brief flash of the backside, then, completely gone... eventually Todd had to climb up inside to get them. As he was coming down the slide, I could hear a multitude of curse words pouring from his mouth.
He appeared, and gave me most serious look I've ever seen. "These kids," he said, "are NEVER to go in there again. EVER."
Apparently, it was really bad inside. He refused to even fully describe it, but let's just say the combination of stale heat+old food+dirty kids does not do much good in way of plastic kiddie tubing. One can only guess how often the 16-year-old employees actually think to sanitize, or even clean, inside the playtubes.
Ewww.
Oh ew! I was halfway up the first tube but thankfully didn't have to continue. Ellie LOVED it but I never thought about how dirty it was up there. I was just happy there wasn't a ball pit!
ReplyDeleteWe took my son to a playhouse as a treat when we had gone away for a weekend. It turned out he was absolutely terrified of it and wanted nothing to do with it. I secretly high fived my husband haha.
ReplyDeleteSome of them aren't so bad, just so you know. I think it depends on the manager of the store, and how "family friendly" they're trying to be. The one by my dad's house where my brothers and sisters used to play sometimes (I was too old but would occasionally have to go in after them) was pretty clean!
ReplyDeleteThe staff where we were was very nice and in general it was really clean so maybe ours was ok after all.
ReplyDeleteI was worried about how the kids were behaving in the tunnels since Ellie is known to shove back but she said everyone was really nice and used their manners. :)
Ahh glad you found her...that must have been scary!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I'm wondering if you would be interested in participating in my Mom Blogger Contest for $100 Cash prize during the month of April?
The details are here http://www.misstutu.com/mom-blogger-contest.html
Thanks for considering! I think your readers will really enjoy this contest too!
Jenni
LOL!! I took my youngest to a play place for the first time a couple weeks ago and he was in heaven. I had a hard time finding him because he was AT THE VERY TOP. He's TWO!!
ReplyDeleteLOL at the grandma standing outside. Yes, she must have done that before.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
WOW! Yeah, I've been there myself contemplating to crawl to grab my stubborn lil boy but the thought of being stuck in that colorful tunnel stopped me cold LOL.
ReplyDeleteJDaniel can't get up the first step on his own. I have to lift him up it. Thankfully he has come down the slide almost as soon as he gets to the top.
ReplyDelete